Food and Drink is used in the replenishment of Hunger and Thirst. It is one of the categories of Items in The Long Dark. In general, 'raw' meat, and low quality foods (30% or lower quality, with higher probability while under 20%), carry a chance of Food Poisoning. Cooking raw meat eliminates this risk at the cost of some loss of calories. Once cooked, meat lowers in quality over time and then again increases a risk of Food Poisoning if quality lowers enough. Storing meat outside is one way to preserve it for longer periods of time. Every drink, except water, supplies some Hunger and some foods quench thirst.
List of Food
|Bear Meat (Raw)||1.00||900||0900||-||Chance of Food Poisoning|
|Bear Meat (Cooked)||1.00||900||0900||-||-|
|Beef Jerky||0.10||350||3500||-||Increase Thirst|
|Cat Tail Stalk||0.05||150||3000||-||Never degrades|
|Coho Salmon (Raw)||variable||variable||variable||-||Chance of Food Poisoning|
|Coho Salmon (Cooked)||variable||variable||variable||-||-|
|Condensed Milk||0.25||750||3000||x||Reduces Thirst|
|Dog Food||0.30||500||1667||x||Chance of Food Poisoning|
|Lake Whitefish (Raw)||variable||variable||variable||-||Chance of Food Poisoning|
|Lake Whitefish (Cooked)||variable||variable||variable||-||-|
|Moose Meat (Raw)||1.00||900||0900||-||Chance of Food poisoning|
|Moose Meat (Cooked)||1.00||900||0900||-||-|
|Pinnacle Peaches (Cold)||0.50||450||0900||x||Slightly reduces Thirst|
|Pinnacle Peaches (Hot)||0.50||450||0900||x||Slightly reduces Thirst and Cold|
|Pork and Beans (Cold)||0.25||600||2400||x||-|
|Pork and Beans (Hot)||0.25||600||2400||x||Reduces Cold|
|Rabbit meat (Raw)||1.00||500||0500||-||Chance of Food Poisoning|
|Rabbit meat (Cooked)||1.00||450||0450||-||-|
|Rainbow Trout (Raw)||variable||variable||variable||-||Chance of Food Poisoning|
|Rainbow Trout (Cooked)||variable||380 - 385||variable||-||Small variance in Cal/KG. (Sample size 5)|
|Salty Crackers||0.10||600||6000||-||Increases Thirst|
|Smallmouth Bass (Raw)||variable||variable||variable||-||-|
|Smallmouth Bass (Cooked)||variable||variable||variable||-||-|
|Tomato Soup (Cold)||0.25||300||1200||x||-|
|Tomato Soup (Hot)||0.25||300||1200||-||Reduces Cold|
|Tin of Sardines||0.10||300||3000||-||Slight chance of Food Poisoning and slightly increases Thirst|
|Venison (Raw)||1.00||900||0900||-||Chance of Food Poisoning|
|Wolf Meat (Raw)||1.00||800||0800||-||Chance of Food Poisoning|
|Wolf Meat (Cooked)||1.00||700||0700||-||-|
List of Drinks
|Unsafe Water||0||0||Chance of Dysentery|
|Herbal Tea||100||1000||Reduces Cold, increases Condition regeneration|
|Reishi Tea||100||1000||Reduces Cold, used as antibiotics|
|Rose Hip Tea||100||1000||Reduces Cold, used as painkillers|
|Birch Bark Tea||100||1000||Reduces Cold, increases Condition regeneration|
|Coffee||100||1000||Reduces Cold and Fatigue|
- Any food with a low condition, indicated with either the "Mouldy" or "Banged Up" prefix, has a small chance of causing Food poisoning.Drinks will never cause food poisoning, although Unsafe Water can cause dysentery.
- Any food that is heated up will lose its warmth within ten minutes and become cold. Although the prepared item can still be eaten with no loss of calories, it will not reduce loss of warmth like it does with being eaten hot. Any cold item may be heated again.
- As of update v.344, almost all food will affect the player's thirst
- Salty Crackers and Beef Jerky will greatly make the player more thirsty.
- Pork and Beans, Granola Bar, Candy Bar, Peanut Butter and all meat and fish will slightly make the player more thirsty.
- Energy Bar and Cat Tail Stalk will not affect the player's thirst.
- Military-Grade MRE, Dog Food, and a Tin of Sardines will make the player slightly less thirsty.
- Condensed Milk, Pinnacle Peaches,Tomato Soup, and all beverages will make the player greatly less thirsty.